Changes to Elevator Door Monitoring System - Permit and Inspection
The NYC Department of Buildings (DOB) has released a Service Update to ASME A17.3 of 2002, as modified by Chapter K3 of Appendix K Section 3.10.12 of the New York City Building Code, requiring all automatic passenger and freight elevators to feature a system to monitor and prevent automatic operation with faulty door contact circuits by January 1, 2020.
Updated Filing Requirements – Effective May 20, 2018
· The application must be filed by an elevator agency director approved by the Buildings Department rather than a design professional.
· Design drawings, including approved letter(s) from the controller manufacturer or registered design professional, are not required to be submitted to the Department, but must be kept in the premises’ machine rooms and made available to the Department upon request.
· Tests and inspections must be performed by an approved elevator inspection agency (applicant) and witnessed by an approved elevator inspection agency not affiliated with the agency performing the test.
Applications must still be filed with the Department in DOB NOW: Build (using the PPN process)
Elevator agency directors must notify the Department at least 48 hours prior to inspection and test by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Inspection/Test Report and Sign-Off
Both the Elevator Agency performing the inspection and the Elevator Agency witnessing the inspection, as well as the Owner must use DOB NOW: Build to submit the inspection/test results and obtain final sign-off (ELV3 forms will no longer be accepted in person or by email.)
VSA is a DOB Licensed Elevator Test Witnessing Agency that can steward the process for any building manager or elevator oversight entity looking to be in compliance of this code. Vertical Systems Analysis can manage the entire process to ensure your elevators are in compliance by the due date of January, 2020.
On your behalf, VSA will:
· Perform a survey of all buildings and elevators to determine scope & type of monitoring necessary.
· Evaluate equipment condition and expected life-cycle to determine best approach to meeting Code.
· Contact Elevator Contractors, requesting survey and proposal for Door Lock Monitoring installation.
· Evaluate proposals submitted and make a recommendation of Contractor and equipment manufacturer.
· Verify pricing and schedule for installation to be completed.
· Perform a post inspection after each installation to ensure compliance.
Please note the scope of work for this upgrade requires filing a permit with the Department of Buildings, a DOB or third party sign off as well as updated schematic diagrams for each controller.
Call Vertical Systems Analysis today, to ensure your elevators are in compliance by the due date.
Vertical Systems Analysis, (VSA) is an elevator consulting company based in New York City, with offices in Chicago, Miami and Philadelphia.
Vertical Systems Analysis, Inc.
307 West 36th Street, 8th Floor
New York, NY 10018